One of the nation’s largest and most recognized sustainable forestry programs is administered by the American Forest and Paper Association. SFI is a comprehensive system of principles, objectives and performance measurements that help insure our forests are managed, used and wisely protected for current and future generations.
The scope of SFI includes, but is not limited to:
- Broadening the practice of sustainable forestry
- Ensuring prompt reforestation
- Protecting water quality
- Enhancing wildlife habitat
- Minimizing the visual impact of harvesting
- Protecting special sites
- Contributing to biodiversity
- Continuing improvements in wood utilization
- Continuing the prudent use of forest chemicals to ensure forest and environmental health
- Encouraging good, sound forest management principles
As part of Biewer’s participation in sustainable forest management we require that log suppliers complete core education programs that include training in: Water Quality, Wildlife management, Forest Silviculture Practices, Equipment Maintenance, Soil Conservation and Harvesting Techniques.